L6 Software Engineering Apprenticeship
Location: Manchester, M3 3BG
Salary: Competitive Salary
Sector: Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Application Deadline Date: 20/11/2023
Start Date: 01/04/2024
Positions Available: 10
Working Week: 37.5
We have launched a 3 year Level 6 Software Engineering Apprenticeship Program starting in April 2024 in our Manchester office. This is a unique opportunity to develop or shift your professional career in tech. You will get to learn great software engineering principles and working practices at the world’s number one travel company.
- You are 18 years old or over as of April 2024
- You have a grade C / Grade 4 or above in English & Maths. You can provide a ENIC statement of comparability in case your qualifications were obtained outside of the UK. Note that you need to hold both qualifications before you join the programme as this cannot be completed in parallel.
- You have a level 3 qualifications e.g. at least 3 Cs at A Level or equivalent qualification or experience.
- You are eligible to work in England or have an eligible residency status and not in full-time education.
- You have lived in the UK and/or EEA consistently for at least 3 years.
- You must live in England and spend at least 50% of your working hours in England over the duration of the apprenticeship.
- You must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level in a similar subject (e.g. a degree or masters in Computing or Software Engineering).
- You have a passion for travel and technology.
- You are a team player, able to collaborate with the team to build quality software and work with others to deliver it reliably.
- You have good verbal and non verbal communication skills with a curious mindset, seeking out best practices across the business unit.
- You have good organisational skills to ensure you can balance your role and apprenticeship.
- You have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are able to adapt to change and new challenges quickly in a dynamic work environment
At Booking.com, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world. We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we’ve been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we’re building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to transport, tickets, tours and more.
From our hub in Manchester our Trips team helps people enjoy the experience of travel. Whether it is a flight to an exciting destination, a taxi ride to the hotel, a rental car to give freedom to explore or a ticket to a popular attraction our Trips teams provide the services to complete the travel experience.
The Trips business unit bridges the Booking.com of today with the Booking of tomorrow, leading the evolution of Booking.com from a single-product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalised travel experience at the heart of its success.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they’re always ready for change.
About the Role:
As a junior software engineer, you will produce high-quality technical solutions to help our business grow. You will join a supportive team of engineers who will help you learn and develop your skills. During your apprenticeship, you will learn to write high-quality test and production code, use the right design pattern at the right time, and follow best practice engineering principles. With the support of your team, you will also learn to write automated tests to ensure our systems are resilient to defects and create technical documentation to aid collaboration.
You will also need to focus on your learning and development on the Software Engineering Apprenticeship. You are expected to split your time between learning specifically for the apprenticeship, meeting the apprenticeship requirements, and work with your colleagues on team tasks . To support you in your apprenticeship, you will be provided with ‘off the job training’ each week that will go towards the study of your apprenticeship. This can include a mixture of interactive classroom sessions, virtual learning, shadowing, portfolio tasks and much more. Your manager will support you to ensure you balance your time between your apprenticeship and role at Booking.com but as always with an apprenticeship, there will be an element of self-study required and you may need to complete some apprenticeship work outside of work hours. We are sure this apprenticeship will give you an excellent and supportive start to your career in tech! Due to the nature of an apprenticeship scheme, there is no expectation of prior experience in Software Engineering when joining.
What we offer:
- Above market average compensation and benefits for entry level Software Engineers.
- World class training & development.
- A supportive Compass network of Software Engineering Apprentices and Graduates.
- A great new office in the heart of Manchester.
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities.
- 25 days’ paid holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 3 years of service).
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals and other group benefits.
- Up to 10% employer-matched pension.
- Market-leading life event benefits.
- Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
*PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR CV IN A PDF FORMAT*
1. Screencall with Ada
2. Screencall with Booking.com
3. Assessment Centre at Booking.com Manchester Offices