Job Title : Legal & General - Apprentice Software Developer
Employer : Legal & General
Location : London
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Software Developer
Sector : Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Vacancy Reference : VAC-00013
Brief Description : We’re looking for someone with a desire to learn and contribute to become an Apprentice Software Developer. You will receive full training, support and development throughout the 3 year program and gain formal qualifications alongside additional training in both the Technology and the Investment Management domains.
Qualifications Required : A-Levels (or equivalent) in Maths or Science-related subjects.
Vacancy Detail : You will receive full training, support and development throughout the 3 year program and gain formal qualifications alongside additional training in both the Technology and the Investment Management domains. Once you’ve learned the basics, you will get to join multiple different established in-house development teams working on cutting edge Investment Management software solutions. This will be on a rotational basis giving you the opportunity to experience different types of development work in different business areas. We’re open to people from any background, so if you need help with the application process, do let us know!
What you'll be doing
- Learn to develop software using the Java programming language
- Spend 20% of your time on formal college training with our apprenticeship training provider
- Follow mentoring as specified
- Work as part of a software development team on real business applications
- Be active in developer team meetings to keep colleagues informed and to create a forum for knowledge sharing
By the end of your apprenticeship you will...
- Have obtained level 4 qualification or university degree (towards the end of your level 4 apprenticeship we offer you the choice to continue to do a full degree or convert to a junior developer straight away)
- Build according to technical direction and established patterns
- Use a number of tools and other programming languages where necessary
- Follow application & component level design, working to standards and patterns
- Propose solutions and agree those with a Senior/Lead Developer
- Follow coding standards and ensure compliance with quality measures
- Provide 3rd line support where required
- Contribute to the team ownership view of the platforms/systems you work on (everyone owns the code)
- Ensure code is tested in accordance with the guidelines
- Cope with context switching and work to deadlines
- Help the next group of apprentices find their feet.
- Be given cake…
Positions Available : 7
Working Week : Monday to Friday
Salary : £ 23,000.00 (Annually)
Application Deadline Date : 30/07/2021
Possible Start Date : 04/10/2021
Skills Required : - Genuine interest in software development - please add something, if possible, to your application to show this, eg. Your github account or a description of what you’ve done with regards to software development
- Willingness & aptitude to learn new skills
- Problem Solver
- Demonstrates a pro-active, self-motivated and positive attitude
- Good communication
- Collaborates well as part of a team
- Work Experience (desirable but NOT required): applied programming (any language)
Training to be Provided : Our apprenticeship goes beyond the Level 4 standard and includes a Foundation Degree in Digital Innovation which is validated by the Open University. Each cohort spends their first 6 weeks at college taking part in our Launchpad training.
This training not only covers modules for the degree programme but also ensures to prepare you for the workplace. Following the Launchpad training you will return to your employer for 7-8 weeks returning to Ada for one-week blocks on a rotation basis.
The map below shows the employer's location